So Bulgogi (불고기) is a traditional recipe for sweet-marinated beef. It most usually uses thinly sliced sirloin, but the marinade can be used for chicken and pork as well (with 1/2 tsp of minced ginger added to the marinade).
In the United States, beef bulgogi is one of the most popular proteins served in Korean restaurants. It’s usually served on a bed of rice with a side of green salad.
While you can find most cuts of sirloin in any grocery store, the specific thin style is more commonly found in Asian grocery stores like 99 Ranch Market, HMart, or Zion Market. In fact, the closest cut you can find to this in American grocery stores is typically in flank steaks! So just remember, this marinade can be applied to nearly any type of cut.
Korean Barbeque (KBBQ) restaurants are my favorite places to have bulgogi, besides at home of course. KBBQ restaurants, however, can sometimes get a little pricey when you have more than just a few folks at your dinner table…so why break the bank for a night out, when you can bring the KBBQ home?
Did you try this marinade? Let me know how it tasted in the comments below!
- 12 oz Sliced Beef Sirloin (You can use other thinly sliced cuts)
- 1 oz sliced shiitake mushroom (optional)
- ¼ cup lite soy sauce
- ⅓ cup grated pear (or brown sugar)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp rice (or white) wine
- ½ medium sized onion
- 2 cups of chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Peel and slice the onion thinly.
- In a large bowl, make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients.
- Add the sliced meat one at a time and make sure they are soaked evenly in the marinade
- Cover and chill the beef in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours
- Cook the meat in a grill pan or cast iron skillet on high heat for 4-5 minutes
Add a few slices of mushroom and cook with the beef
- Serve on a plate and sprinkle sesame seeds on top as a garnish.
Note: You can use any other cuts of beef as long as it's thinly sliced (less than 1/16") If it's thicker, make sure you marinate it overnight.