Chogyetang – 초계탕 (Chilled Chicken Soup)
Chogyetang – 초계탕, is a chilled chicken soup that is tangy and refreshing and served with shredded chicken and vegetables.
Cho in Cho-gye-tang means vinegar, and gye comes from the word gyeja (계자), which is the northern dialect of gyeoja (겨자, hot mustard). As the name suggests, this chicken soup is flavored with vinegar and hot mustard, which gives the flavorful soup plenty of tang!
And don’t forget, #LifesDelicious, so enjoy it!
For more Healthy, Delicious & Easy Recipes
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast or thigh (fat removed)
- 32 ounces 1-quart chicken stock (preferably good quality, low sodium)
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1 or 2 scallion white parts
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves
- 1 thin ginger slice 1-inch round - optional
- Seasoning for the stock:
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons hot mustard paste or more to taste, geoja (겨자)
- 2 teaspoons soup soy sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt 2 teaspoons or more to taste if using low sodium stock
- Blended sesame seeds Optional
- 1/4 cup roasted sesame seeds
- Seasoning for chicken:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces red cabbage
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 2 servings of buckwheat noodles-Optional
- Pour the chicken stock into a medium-size pot. Add onion, scallion, garlic, and ginger. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breast, and when it comes to a boil again, reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover, and continue to boil for about 8 -10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and remove the chicken to a bowl. Place the pot in an ice bath to cool. Strain the stock, and discard the aromatic vegetables. The stock should be about 3-1/2 cups. Stir in all the seasoning ingredients, and keep it in the freezer to chill, preferably until it becomes slushy.
- If using the sesame seeds, blend the seeds in 1 cup of the chicken stock. Add to the prepared stock before putting it in the freezer.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred and lightly season with salt, pepper, sesame oil, and minced garlic. Refrigerate while preparing the vegetables.
- Thinly slice the cucumber, and mix well with the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Set it aside.
- Thinly slice the red cabbage and red bell pepper. If serving with the noodles, cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Be sure to rinse them in icy cold water, and drain.
- To serve, arrange the chicken, vegetables, and noodles, if using, in a serving bowl, and ladle the icy cold broth over.