Dakgangjeong- 닭강정 Sweet and Savory Korean Fried Chicken (KFC)
Let’s make some Korean fried chicken! Dakgangjeong (닭강정) is a deep-fried crispy chicken dish glazed in a sticky, sweet, and spicy sauce. This recipe uses bite-sized boneless chicken pieces, so it cooks up very fast in shallow oil. It’s the easiest Korean fried chicken you can make at home!
Dak means chicken in Korean. Gangjeong is a type of traditional Korean confectionery. It’s made by deep-frying sweet rice batter into crackers, coating with syrup, and finally covering with puffed rice, sesame seeds, or nuts. Traditionally, a similar concept/technique — deep frying and coating with a sticky syrup — is also used to make various other sweet and savory dishes. Dakgangjeong is the chicken version.
And Don’t Forget # Lifes is delicious, so let’s Taste it.!!!!!
- (A) Main ingredients
- 1/2 lb. chicken breast
- 1 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup cornflour
- (B) Batter mixture
- 1/2 cup Tempura batter
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup icy cold water
- (C) Sauce mixture
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp. chopped green onion
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. Gochugaru Korean chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Gochujang sauce
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. rice syrup
- In a saucepan, add all the sauce ingredients in C and stir with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes in medium-low heat. Set it aside.
- Cut up the chicken breasts in bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, coat the chicken with cornflour.
- In another bowl make the tempura batter by mixing the ingredients in B.
- In a wok or deep skillet, heat a cup of olive or vegetable oil in medium-high.
- When it’s heated, dip the chicken in the batter one piece at a time and into the wok.
- Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Remove them from the oil and onto a plate with a layer of paper towels.
- In another mixing bowl, add the chicken, pour the sauce and give it a toss. Make sure the sauce gets coated evenly onto the nuggets.
- Lastly, sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top.
If you can’t get the Korean gochujang sauce, you can also get the sweet chili Thai sauce available from any grocery store. If you are calorie conscious, you can try using the Air Fryer to make this dish. It comes out as delicious, and you can enjoy it without the guilt since it has 70% fewer calories and fat! You can check out my KFC recipe where I use an Air Fryer - coming soon!