Sinseollo -신설로 Heavenly Casserole or royal hot pot is an elaborate dish consisting of meatballs, small and round jeonyueo, mushrooms, and vegetables cooked in a rich broth in Korean royal court cuisine. A dish is a form of jeongol. It is served in a large bundt pan-shaped vessel with a hole in the center, in which hot embers are placed to keep the dish hot throughout the meal.
Sinseollo -신설로 Heavenly Casserole is the proper name for the cooking vessel in which this dish is served, which has become to mean the actual dish as well. Sinseollo is a composite word of sinseon (hangu, hanja), “Taoist immortal spirit” and ro (hangul, hanja), brazier. Jeong Hee-Ryang, a scholar in the court of Joseon Dynasty’s King Yeonsan, turned to a hermit-like life in the mountains after being exiled and disillusioned from politics. He made a small brazier to cook his meals, a portable cooking vessel that would cook various vegetables in a single pot. He disappeared in the mountains and legend says he became a sinseon, so the cooking vessel was named “brazier for a sinseon“.
Although the origin of the dish was based on vegetables, meat and fish were added in later years. Up to 25 ingredients may be used in making the dish, such as beef, pork, chicken, pheasant, fish, abalone, sea cucumbers, and various vegetables. Boiled beef and sliced mu are placed in the dish with seasoned beef and the seafood. Mushrooms, carrots, and other vegetables are placed next, with meatballs, walnuts, pine nuts, ginkgo nuts, and finely shredded red pepper used as a garnish to create a colorful balance. Soup stock is poured over and then the dish is cooked with charcoal on the burner.
Sinseollo is also called yeolguja tang, which literally means “a tang (soup) that makes a mouth happy”.
And Don’t Forget # Lifes delicious, so let’s Taste it.!!!!!
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 bunch Korean parsley
- 1/2 medium Onion
- 4 ounces beef
- 4 ounces cod
- 6 leeks
- 4 eggs
- 12 Pyogo (shiitake) mushroom
- 15 shelled/peeled Ginkgo nuts
- Ingredients for Meat Balls:
- 4 ounces finely chopped Beef
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1 egg
- Ingredients for Cod Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 eggs
- Ingredients for Broth/Soup:
- 4 ounces beef
- 1/2 medium onion
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 cups beef stock
- Sprinkle beef and sliced cod very lightly with salt and pepper. Cut Pyogo mushroom and carrot into 1/8 by 1 1/2 inch strips. Remove leaves from parsley and cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths. Cut onion in half from top to bottom.
- Make Meat Balls Combine chopped beef, flour, egg, salt, and pepper and mix well. Divide the mix into 16 pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Place in a well-oiled pan and fry until well browned.
- Onion Thin slice 1/2 onion and quickly brown in a hot lightly oiled pan.
- Beef Thin slice 4 ounces of beef, then cut each slice into strips about 1/8 inch thick by 1 1/12 inch long. Place the beef hot lightly oiled pan and quickly fry until just browned.
- Cod Beat egg. Thin slice the cod then dredge each slice through flour, dip in egg, and quickly fry in a hot lightly oiled pan until golden brown.
- Eggs: Separate yolks from whites. Whip yolks together then pour into a hot lightly oiled pan, tipping the pan to spread the yolk, and cook until lightly browned on both sides. Cut into roughly 1/8 wide strips, then cut the strips into 1 1/2 inch lengths. Repeat with egg whites.
- Leeks Cut in half from bottom to top, then cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths.
- Broth Thin slice the beef. Thin slice the onion half from top to bottom Thin sliced garlic from top to bottom Add sliced beef, garlic, and onion to the beef broth in a pot. Bring to a slow boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium and cook for ten minutes. Remove beef from the stock.
- Final In a large round pot arrange the cod, leeks, mushroom, egg white strips, parsley, carrot, onion, beef strips, egg yolk strips, and boiled beef slices lengthwise from the outside of the pot to the center, each ingredient slightly overlapping the other. Scatter Ginkgo and meatballs over the top. Gently pour the stock into the pot and bring to a slow boil over medium heat without stirring.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice and banchan.
You can also put the fried ingredients at the bottom of the pot.