Jaeyoo Bokkem is a very tasty Korean dish that combines the tender flavor of pork with the crispy texture of fried tofu. This is a delicious, spicy dish, full of flavor, and texture.
The dish starts with Samgyeopsal, a type of Korean bacon which will be the pork component of this recipe. It is very popular in the local cuisine, especially for barbecues. Marinading this meat will enchace and elevate the flavor with strong sweet and spicy flavors. The spicy comes from the Gochujang Chili Paste which is a common ingredient that goes really well with this kind of meat.
I chose to use extra firm tofu in this recipe because I want it to be as cispy as possible. Firmer tofu has less moisture in it, which helps when trying to achieve a crispier texture in food. It also helps the frying process. Finally, we will dip the tofu in some egg before we fry it to get that golden brown color all around it.
The tender pork and crispy tofu comes together beautifully to create the signature texture of this dish. The seaseme seed leaves and toasted seaseme seeds also bring in authentic flavors that complete the flavor profile of Jaeyoo Bokkum.
- 1 lb. Samgyeopsal
- 1/2 carton extra firm Tofu
- 1/2 Onion, sliced
- Black Pepper to taste
- 5 Seaseme Leaves, chopped
- 1 cup Green Onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp Gochujang Chili Paste
- 1 tbsp Seaseme Oil
- 2 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Toasted Seaseme Seeds to taste
1. First, cut the tri-tip bacon strips into squares.
2. Mix the chili paste, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar, and black pepper with the pork tri-tip.
3. Drain the tofu and cut into 1” thick slices.
4. Heat up an oiled pan and prepare to fry the tofu. Mix up a raw egg in a small bowl and coat the tofu before frying it in the pan. Once golden brown, transfer to the serving plate.
5. Heat up another pan with oil and add the pork. Mix in the sliced onion and green onion. Cook this mixture until the pork is done.
6. Add the sesame seeds to the tofu on the serving plate and top with the pork. Serve immediately.