Make your own Pork Cutlets at home with this crispy Donkatsu recipe. This popular Japanese dish is often paired with rice and curry, but I plated my own with sweet potatoes and a freshly made salad to bring a more refreshing and healthy balance.
When preparing our pork loins using my recipe, we score the pork gently to allow our marinade to penetrate into the meat itself. This allows the flavor to not just come from the sauce we add to our plate at the end, but come from the meat itself!
For our salad of mixed greens, I add fresh fruits and top it off with an Orange Balsamic Salad Dressing made of sesame oil and balsamic vinegar among other ingredients. I’ve also used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes for their complimentary flavor and healthy properties.
All of these aspects on our dish complete a well-rounded meal of greens, carbs, and protein that is full of balanced flavors. There’s no need to step outside of your home to enjoy fresh and delicious Donkatsu Pork Cutlets when you can make it well at home!
Want more salad ideas? Try this Asian Beef Salad.
- Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. cooking wine
- Fine black pepper
- Garlic Powder
- 4 thinly sliced pork loins
- 1/2 cup tempura flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Spring Mixed Greens
- 2 large tbsp. balsamic vinegarette
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Half Orange
- Shredded Carrots
- Dried Cranberries
- Half Fuji Apple
- Cut Almonds
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Katsu Sauce
Prepare the Pork Cutlet
- In a small bowl, mix 2 oz. olive oil, cooking wine, fine black pepper, dash of salt and garlic powder to create pork marinade.
- Gently score the slices of pork on both sides, not slicing them all the way through.
- Using a spoon, pour the marinade over the pork loin.
Preparing the Salad
- In a small bowl, mix balsamic vinegarette, sesame oil, and 1 tsp. fine black pepper. Squeeze the half orange juice into the dressing and mix.
- Chop apple and cilantro into small pieces and add them to the salad. Add shredded carrots to the salad and toss.
- Add canrberries, almonds, and dressing to serve.
Prepare the Sweet Potatoes
- Cut the sweet potato into 5 pieces, or small enough to fit into the blender.
- Steam until soft, or heat in the microwave.
- Place potatoes, milk, and 1 tsp. of salt into the blender. Blend until soft or preferred consistency.
Cooking the Pork Cutlet
- In a heated skillet, add 1 qtr. cup of olive oil and bring to medium-high heat.
- Coat a marinated pork loin in flour on both sides, then egg wash, then in bread crumbs. Repeat for each pork loin.
- Place the coated pork loin the pan, and fry for at least 2 minutes on each side until cooked. Achieve a rich golden brown. Repeat for each pork loin.
- Cut into strips and add to plate. Add salad and potatoes to plate, and enjoy!