Inspired by the classic rice and protein dish, you just have to try this Spicy Pork Belly Sandwich—a great way to change it up! This sandwich is spiced and marinated with onions and gochujang spicy fermented chili paste. The marinated pork belly is best layered on top of a buttered, toasted bun with fresh lettuce.
My pork belly sandwich is a simple recipe, that you can spice up with any extra add-ons you might like. Like any of my other spicy recipes, you can adjust the amount of chili paste you add to accommodate for all to enjoy!
Looking for another way to satisfy your pork dish cravings? Try my Bossam Boiled Pork Shoulder Lettuce Wrap recipe.
Here is my step-by-step Spicy Pork Belly Sandwich Recipe Video:
- Chipotle Ciabatta Sandwich
- 1 1/2 pound pork belly (1/8th inch slices)
- 1/2 cup gochujang chili paste
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp organic brown cane sugar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp cooking wine
- Half Medium Brown Onion (julienned/cut into thin slices)
- Smoked Kiawe Sea Salt (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together gochujang paste, soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, sesame oil, and cooking wine.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly mixed, add onion and pork belly. Fully coat onions and pork belly in the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Putting It All Together
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat. Sautee the onions and pork belly until fully cooked. (There is no need to add cooking because there is sesame oil in the marinade!)
- Butter the bottom of each bun, and toast on your pan/grill.
- Place lettuce and mayonnaise on the bottom bun, and top with your cooked spicy pork belly. (Optional: sprinkle spicy pork belly with Smoked Sea Salt)